Thursday, October 9, 2014

Brown Bear quilt

My grandkids love  the book Brown Bear.  I ordered a quilt panel of pictures from the book and set to work making a Brown Bear quilt.


Me getting an idea of how the quilt squares might go together.


What should I do for the borders?


I sewed each printed block to a bright solid color.


Here is the top all sewn together and laid out on the bright orange minky I chose for the back of the quilt.  Minky fabric is so soft I was almost afraid to try sewing with it.  It did not turn out to be a problem.  I wanted a light weight quilt however, so I made the decision not to put in a middle layer.  Due to the very bright backing, the white background printed squares show some of the orange backing through the white areas.  I now wish I would have even just used a white fabric as a layer to help prevent that.


I bound the quilt with alternating bright colors from the colored blocks I had used.  I just stitched in the ditch for the quilting since there was no batting to hold down.  My grandson, Huxley loves it.
We can "read" the quilt blocks.  We can find colors on the quilt.  We can name animals and make animal sounds.  It is a fun, interactive quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment