Saturday, October 11, 2014

Yipes Stripes!

I try to avoid sewing with stripes.  I dread the thought of trying to carefully match them all up so they look good.  BUT, our quilt guild was holding a class called "Making stripes work for you."  I was intrigued by the sample the instructor had made, so I bit the bullet and signed up.

Unfortunately, my relatives decided to have a birthday party that Saturday and I would only be able to stay for a couple hours.  In that couple of hours the instructor passed out a detailed step by step instruction sheet and showed us how to make 2 different types of blocks.

I went home determined to try this.  The following weekend this is what I accomplished:

This was one of the techniques we were shown.  I always wondered how quilters made it look like things overlapped...  Cool!




The other technique makes Xes and O's.  You can see my original fabric up at the top of the photo.


I found a pond scene that had similar colors to my fabric and thought that might make a good background for my stripes.   No.


 I settled for a light green background fabric and this arrangement of my blocks.  I backed it and binded it with the same background fabric.


It is a table topper for an antique table in my living room.





No comments:

Post a Comment