Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Charity doll quilts



I enjoy working on charity doll quilts for the Mississippi Valley Quilt Guild.  
Here are 7 that I have enveloped and am getting ready to quilt.
People donate fabric, blocks, batting, etc.  Then a group of guild members get together
to make kits that may be taken home to sew up, or can be quilted at our get togethers. 




I am just learning to quilt freehand with my machine.  What better way to practice than on doll quilts.


The front of the quilt I quilted with free motion stars.




The back with flowers quilted on it is on the two quilts with strawberries and little animals on it below.  The red and white patriotic quilts were quilted with stars.

These are all tops that I pieced from donated fabrics.

Quilt made from blocks I thought I would make into a quilt but did not like.

Ok, to be honest, I did like the blocks, but they drove me crazy trying to piece them together correctly so they went the same direction...

Here is a stack of about 40 quilts that I helped sandwich, envelope, trim and then turn at our monthly meeting at the Deere Wiman Carriage House.


The Doll Quilts group I belong to distributed 968 quilts this Christmas!  Didn't quite reach our goal of 1,000, but we will next year.  Rock Island Schools Head Start - 474; East Moline schools SKIP program - 360; Davenport Schools - 100; East Moline Wells school - 24; Davenport Police Dept. - 30 to go to their Domestic Violence shelters.  Many boys and girls are now enjoying our efforts 




No comments:

Post a Comment